Saturday, August 6, 2011

Grunge is BACK- part 1











 {Above two: Chanel fall 2011, Below two: Rag and Bone fall 2011}


 {Sasha Pivovarova backstage at Stella McCartney's fall 2011}
 {Ashely Olsen in grunge}
 ^proof that a messy room will always be in style^
{Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love, think what you want about the two of them, but this picture is cute}



It is finally official.  I've been reading and noticing everywhere lately that grunge was creeping its way back into the fashion scene. Well, my teen vogue came yesterday and it clearly stated that GRUNGE IS SOOO BACK FOR FALL. They had an entire spread on it.  I was ecstatic upon reading this because Nirvana is my all time favorite band, and they also happen to be the leaders of mainstream grunge.  So where to begin with grunge? When people think grunge they think 90's. They think Seattle.  They think music. It's true that grunge was first used as a term to describe the music that was coming for the seattle area in the late 80's and early 90's (think Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, the Melvins, etc.)  It wasn't until Nirvana became mainstream that people took a liking to their slouchy, "I don't really care what I look like and I never bathe" sort of style. But don't get me wrong, I LOVE IT.  Grunge music and style defined a generation, and Nirvana made the biggest impact.  Above I've picked some of Kurt Cobain's most fashionable moments. Grunge is back people! Get your fall shopping started! 

For your entertainment, listen to some of my favorite Nirvana songs herehere, and here.  The second link shows Nirvana unplugged on MTV, this was a major defining moment in Kurt's career. I love them.  Enjoy!
xoxo Liz